Monday, November 10, 2008

Moving on up: Magnolia

I really like Magnolia cupcakes. For those who do not know, Magnolia is a bakery located on Bleeker street and is the home of those famous cupcakes I wrote about in previous posts. Magnolia cupcakes were prominently featured in the digital music short called Lazy Sunday on Saturday Night Live. It had always been popular but I think the national exposure really helped out this small store in Greenwich village.

They are movin' on up.

They now have a store near Rockefeller Center. It's in a very busy "touristy" area so now everyone can have a taste. The new store is definitely nicer and it looks more like Dean and DeLuca than their original humble store. It's become really slick. The cupcakes taste the same but I feel as though something was lost in the translation. The original store was homey and inviting. This new joint looks sterile and "processed". Still, I suppose that's progress and I wish the "little" cupcake store well.

* Sent via BlackBerry *

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new Magnolia looks like a Pottery Barn. And I suppose the new employees won't have any tattoos or piercings *tear* Guess you can't work there anymore.

I wouldn't mind having a Magnolia in Cerritos. I should open one up and cut corners by using a box mix from Duncan Hines. I'll call it Mongolia Bakery so I don't have to pay a franchise fee.

Ghonie said...

Mongolia Bakery would be interesting.

Also, you're absolutely right. The tattoos and piercings are gone. The people working there look like they're from upper east side...you know, the nicer area. I think they're saving money so they can buy that diamond scarf and gold plated jacket for winter.

Anonymous said...

I can think of it now....

"Dude. Have you tried these Mongolia cupcakes. There awesome. I drove all the way from Silverlake to get these. Green Tea Organic Orgasm is the best."