Wednesday, November 05, 2008

American Museum of Natural History

The Dinos

After my fun time at the marathon, I decided to go to the American Museum of Natural History. Everyone says that it's a great place. My conclusion is that it's good but not great.

Lucy

I think the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is slightly better. But of course, I suppose your preference depends on where you grew up. I also thought that the George C. Page Museum located at the La Brea Tar Pits has better exhibits although the museum is small. But I digress.

This is cheap. They only had the skull and filled the rest with wire frame.

The AMNH is a big place and the evolution exhibit was great. I really enjoyed listening to the geneticist from Mt. Sinai. He gave a great explanation to the little kids. I was surprised that so many families went through the blasphemy exhibit ..I mean evolution exhibit. The geneticist asked me a question and fortunately I got the answer right. Yes, I gave myself a pat on the back. The one display I really liked was the Lucy display. It was pretty incredible.

It's BIG. I'm serious!

The one thing I wish these museums integrated was the walking dinosaurs from the BBC 'Walking With Dinosaurs'. I think kids would really get a kick out that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They never showed this on Sex in the City. I'm starting to think that show was biased.

You should do Science in the City! This is blog entry is a good start. Ironically, you'll still have to call it Sex in the City so people will stay interested.

P.S. Did you take these photos with your Blackberry?