Friday, November 14, 2008

Donburiya

Today's lunch time was spent at Donburiya, a small Japanese joint that serves casual comfort food. They have a variety of lunch combos and it is a great place to grab a quick lunch...if you can find a seat. The place is packed and all of the seats are quickly taken by business men and women wanting a delicious meal.

I looked through the menu and I naturally wanted to try them all. However, I wanted try their basic "go-to" meal.

I decided to go with the Suki-don which consisted of marinated beef slices (like Yoshinoya), stewed nappa cabbage, tofu, and an egg on top of white sticky rice smothered in donburi sauce. The meal also comes with miso soup, a small salad with wasabi vinaigrette, and a small sample of pickled vegetables (I got pickled daikon and cucumber). All in all, it was an agreeable meal but I must say I was disappointed by the amount of beef in the dish. It was too damn small. I think Yoshinoya gives you more beef. They give you plenty of rice but not enough beef. Perhaps my disappointment may be due to the fact that I come from a culture that believes in plentiful meat products over rice/starch but I wish that instead of all that napa, I could get a little more of the beef slices.

I will hold judgement on the overall rating on this establishment until I have had the Donkatsu meal and the Hamburg steak meal (my two favorites). Only then can I determine whether this establishment deserves a place on my diner rotation schedule.

On another note, my pics from my blackberry is really subpar (to say the least) in indoor areas. It's adequate in outside shots (barely) but indoor pics are pretty craptacular. This is really sad since other than that, I've had a very good experience with the device so far.

* Sent via BlackBerry *

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does blogspot automatically create labels for you? Cuz, it would be funny if "donburiya" was your most popular tag.

Anyways. Kudos to your epicurean journey through The Big Apple. Keep it coming. I think you're finding your niche: Political/Social Satire with a side of beef.

P.S. I wish Yoshinoya would give an egg on top of it's bowls. It would make the meal so much more complete.

Anonymous said...

You need to try Masa. Do it!