Saturday, November 08, 2008

Milk and Cheese

I went to Union Square farmer's market and I finally found my honey. I was very excited. Sad thing about the honey is that it's WAAAAAAY to expensive. $15 for 8 oz bottle of honey! Are you fucking kidding me? Are these super honey bees or some shit? I can't afford 15 dollar honey!

Anyway, I walked around some more and bought some aged cheese. It's was sharp and sweet and everyone at the booth was buying it. That means of course that I have to buy it too. I bought a quarter pound of a 1 year old aged cheese with a name I don't remember.

I walked around some more and found some family selling milk. It is the Ronnybrooke farm fresh hudson valley milk and I bought a 12oz bottle to drink on my way home. I couldn't tell the difference between regular milk from "stop and shop" and this one. Nevertheless, paying a buck fifty for "organic" milk seemed satisfying.

Although the farmer's market relatively small, it has many fresh vegetables and foodstuffs for your shopping needs. However, the prices are not cheap. Although less expensive than the Whole Foods across the street, many of these products are not for lower income families. Instead, I feel like these greenmarkets are geared toward middle to upper class yuppies.

Perhaps the best part of these local gatherings of colorful people is the interesting conversation you over hear while walking down the path.

Random "Mother": "I'm not related to you by blood. Do you know what that means?"

Random girl: "Chicken and turkey are fine, I'm not going to eat those."

Random guy: "There are so many goat products. It's like a goat fucker's dream."

Random guy: "These cheeses smell like shit."
His friend: "So does your B.O."
Random guy: "Fuck you goat fucker!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMmm. The sights and sounds of the city. I wonder if the goat products were so abundant because the large Arab population.

Ghonie said...

actually all of those people with goat products seem european.