Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sunday Street Vendor

I did not intend to go to the Madison Ave street fair Sunday but it was all in my face so I thought what the hell. Most of the vendors sell clothes and knickknacks and then there are a few food stands. Some may think that there are a lot of food stands but this is not the case. There are 3 or 4 vendors that set up multiple stands throughout the street to make it seem like the numbers are more than it really is.


There are about 7 Gyro stands all from the same company/store/restaurant. There are 5 or so stands from the same smoothie store. And there are multiple italian sausage stands from the same company. If they don't get you in the first block, they'll get you later.

This stand sold some interesting pastries and desserts so I decided to buy the Shredded Fillo Dough with walnuts and honey. It was very sweet. As I picked at this sweet delicacy, I felt as though I was developing diabetes. My head started to hurt from the sugar overload so I had to stop eating. It was tasty but it was just too much honey. I think the piece that i got was enough to feed 10 people.

* Sent via BlackBerry *

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny thing. I never noticed the whole street vendor monopoly you discussed. That's why everyone was selling falafel. Shady.

Fillo dough desserts are easy make. All you need to do is buy the ready-made dough. It comes in frozen sheets. You want to work with it when it's a little pliable. It's almost like working with thicker lumpia sheets.

After the sheets are ready, stick in your favorite filling ( you can buy this stuff ready made too), fold it over, seal the ends, and bake. Pull it out when golden brown and drizzle it with $15 honey.

There you go. I just gave you another income stream. You can make this at home and sell it.

By the way. Do you cook at home?

Ghonie said...

No. The apt is too small and it's too much of a hassle. I think the cost of eating out < cost of buying all the ingredients+spending time to cook+spending time to clean.