Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mistaken Identity


My friend is always flattered/annoyed that when he goes to a clothing store, patrons mistake him for one of the workers.

My story takes the cake.

It's raining outside and I decided to get takeout and bring food home to eat in the comfort of my room. I went to the restaurant and picked up my order in a brown paper bag. Although it was just one order, this restaurant always uses a big brown bag to place the drink, meal, and sides in it for transport. I took this and started walking briskly down the street. It was pouring at this point and I really wanted to get home quickly.

And then suddenly, one of our finest public servant, a NYPD with his partner, called out to me. I was a bit confused since, to my knowledge, I did not break the law. However, the cop said, "Yo kid, what are you delivering? What did the guy order?" At first, I didn't understand his line of questioning but then it came to me.

Today I was mistaken for a delivery boy.

I have been mistaken for a Best Buy employee, and Circuit City employee but never a delivery boy. I didn't know what to say so I just smiled and said, "the usual" and walked away.

I should be flattered because he thought I was super young.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. You know who likes being called young: women and the elderly. Which are you?

But I can totally picture it. If you were wearing a poncho, you would look exactly like the guy who used to deliver Chinese food to my apartment in Berkeley.

And I don't think you should be insulted, You're finally mistaken for what you really are: an Immigrant with poor language skills. Embrace it.

On the other hand, are you looking less nerdy and more derelicte?

Anonymous said...

Nerdy AND derelicte. It's a double threat. I think this is why I don't fit in. I'm scared of all the wicked women of the big city with dem painted faces who try to entrance you with magical powers. Time to go back to Bent Fork Tennessee. Can you pay for my cross country bus ticket? From what I remember, it costs 8 dollars. Uncle Fred and Uncle Ethel tolds me so.