Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Lady on the Freeway Overpass


Every morning on my way to work, I see an African-American female in her 50s waving to cars passing under her on the bridge going across the freeway. She is there everyday and I believe she spends hours standing there on the fence waving to every car she sees. She has a push cart of some kind, and I don't really know if she has it because she's homeless, if it's because she cannot walk or if she's coming back from the grocery store.


She is smiling the entire time and she looks directly at the driver of every car that comes near. I don't know how well she could see the fast moving individuals from the bridge where she stands but I imagine during traffic congestion, she can see the responses on people's faces.

I always find her behavior uplifting. I don't know why. She seems so happy. In fact, she looks ecstatically happy. Sure it seems like odd behavior and there is a high probability that psychosis of some kind is involved here but nevertheless, I think she brings some smiles to people's faces because she seems so damn happy...and that's infective.

I tried to take a picture of her but it never comes out right. My iphone camera is terrible. Perhaps I should just refrain from posting it anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like the plot of the movie The Soloist starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Fox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soloist

Except without the violin.

Ghonie said...

You are right. I have the perfect actress in mind. Monique.