Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Don't Stop on a Highway

There are very few reasons why you would stop in the middle of a highway.

1) There is traffic

2) There is an accident (you are involved or one occured in your vicinity)

3) Cop pulls you over (you don't stop in the middle of the highway though, you move to the side and stop

4) An animal jumps out in front of you.

5) There is a traffic light at different sections of the highway (there are several areas in the US where this is so)

Suffice it to say, there are very few reasons why one would stop in the middle of a highway with a 65 mile speed limit.

However, today, a woman decided to stop. I have no idea why she stopped in the middle of the highway. I was just driving along behind her when she started to slow down. There was no one around. It was just me and her. It was a 2 lane highway and because her speed was good, I cruised along with her.

She started to slow down and then stopped. As I passed her, I couldn't figure out what the hell she was doing. Other cars started coming up behind her. They were honking to get her going. Her Mercedes seemed fine (it was relatively new model, probably 1 year old). It wasn't like it broke down. It was an automatic. She wasn't in distress. She wasn't on the cell phone. Nothing. She just stopped.


But you know, this shit happens all the time.

I live near an upscale area. I don't personally live in a posh area. I live near a freaking prison. But, I can say that the surrounding areas "across the tracks" seem very nice. I can say that I live 8.5 miles from someone who was once the most powerful man in the world.

People here drive a lot of Porsches. It's the car of choice. They also have ferraris. It was funny parking my POS car next to a ferrari at the local Target.

The people driving these REALLY expensive cars are old.

Now, not old drivers suck. But as you get older, your reflexes slow down. I'm sure I'll be a shitty driver when I get older too. In any case, they cause so many accidents and traffic jams in these parts it's freaking crazy. They pull all these weird shit on the road. I'm surprised that I'm still alive.

I heard one elderly gentleman say that everyone should buy Audis because you can get into accidents and still survive. Was this a warning?

No comments: