Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sins of a Solar Empire


This game is interesting. It's similar to Star Wars: Empire at War. At times, I feel like I'm playing that game all over again. However, this game is much deeper. At the beginning of the game, strategy is important as your planets are extremely vulnerable. Turtling (a technique I love) is very difficult because your defenses against Capital Ships are either too weak or just too damn expensive.

The learning curve for this game is moderate to steep. Most people that have played RTS will have no problem jumping into the game and blowing away frigates. However, the research options can be overwhelming. Fighting off Hard setting opponents can be a big challenge. If they reach your home planet with their cruisers and capital ships, you're toast. Also, you have to take great care in expanding your empire. In my first game, I tried to capture as many planets as possible but then I got smoked because the defenses for these planets were pretty shitty. Also, because of the size of the battlefield, you can just go around enemy planets and not fight the defenses at all.

Another component of the game that is interesting is the phase jump. In order for you to get to another planet, you have to initiate the phase jump sequence on your ships. This is done automatically. However, there is a wait time before you can jump. During this wait, you're a sitting duck.

I just started the 100 planet scenario. I've been playing for 5 hours and I have yet to confront the main fleet of my opponents. I have a feeling the first battle will be ugly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The phase jump sounds like the FTL (Faster Than Light) jump capability the ships have on Battlestar Galactica.

"In order to initiate a jump, the crew must first intitiate an automated start-up procedure, known as "spooling" the FTL drive, which can take several minutes to complete. This step is done just before a planned jump, presumably because it is impractical or impossible to keep the FTL drive in a "spooled up" state of readiness for an extended period of time."
From Wikipedia