Monday, December 08, 2008

Ye Olde Union Oyster House


I was craving for some good New England Clam Chowda so I headed over to the Union Oyster House. It is a quaint establishment that bill themselves as the oldest restaurant in America. It's also a tourist joint so some natives look down on it and describe the place as overhyped and overrated.


Because it was a weekday and it was still before noon, I had no problem finding a table. I sat down and ordered a Harpoon, which was on tap. I also requested a half dozen oysters (I figured since the restaurant was called the "oyster house" I should try their oysters.) I, of course, also ordered the clam chowda. My main meal would be fish and chips.


The beer really hit the spot and the corn bread was very tasty. The oysters came promptly and to be honest, I don't even remember how they tasted because I inhaled them so quickly. I must have liked them because they were gone in 60 seconds.


The famous clam chowda arrived. It was good but if you gave me progresso soup clam chowder, I wouldn't have known the difference. I wish they gave you more clam chunks though.


Main course arrived and I gotta say that the fish and chips were pretty tasty. I have been traumatized as a child eating those shitty nasty looking fish sticks in the cafeteria during primary school so I don't order fish and chips as much. However, these fish and chips did not bring back bad memories. The fish wasn't overcooked so I was really happy to bite into those flaky, juicy, and fried pieces of sea meat.

I will say that I had a good meal but I don't think I will be going back any time soon. There is nothing there that you can't find anywhere else, and most of the food, while tasty, were not unique enough to seek out this particular establishment for the food mentioned above. Still, I guess if you're looking to dine in one of those historical restaurants that has been around for a ~180 years, this is worth looking into.

* Sent via BlackBerry *

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is this place? But most importantly, did you ask for malt vinegar? You would be have looked ol' Enlgish.

Ghonie said...

Oh. This was in good ol' Boston.