Thursday, December 08, 2005

Impact of a man

I often wonder about the impact an individual can make in this world.

We often think about great figures in history.

Hitler comes to mind because he was considered the modern age embodiment of evil.

I think of Newton and his approach to physics and calculus.

Utilitarian approach would deem these individuals exceptional in a way...

I met a man today who, because of his curiosity, discovered the cure to river blindness, a disease that devastated millions of people around the world.

This man also demanded that the only way he would work on this cure was if the company would donate the cure, free of charge, to all those who needed it in the poorest of countries.

I look at the man and I see nothing extraordinary. On the outside, he looks like any other man. He is humble and extremely kind. He doesn't seem to have an ounce of pretentious charcter in his body.

However, I imagined a scenario such as this at a school "bring your father to class" day:

Random Kid #1: My dad is a firefighter. He saves people from fires.
Random Kid #2: My dad works at a shoe factory. He makes the shoes you guys are wearing.
Random Kid #3: My dad is a plumber. He fixes your pipes when it's clogged.
Random Kid #4: My dad is a waiter at a restaurant. He brings you the food you eat.
Random Kid #5: My dad is a construction worker. He fixes the road.
Mr. Incredible's Kid: My dad cured river blindess and saved at least 18 million lives every year and will continue to save millions of lives for years to come.

Random Kid #6: ....Fuuuuck...


Don't get me wrong, I believe wholeheartedly that every individual contributes to society in many ways. I don't see myself as an utilitarian so numbers mean shit to me. I believe that a man cleaning up after us at a diner is just as important as the president of the United States.

But damn...it would suck for Random Kid #6.

No comments: