Monday, December 12, 2005

I'm watching you muthafucka!

It's interesting how easily one can "track" people visiting various websites across the globe. I know that some scan through the logged "paths of the internet" to see where people have come from and where they are going. Advertisers have been using this to track demographics and provide advertising data.

What I find interesting is that it can provide some really amusing situations.

I was reading someone's blog when they mentioned something about a former boyfriend. Apparently, this girl has been combing through the logs to see the kinds of people visiting her website. It turns out that one particular visitor is from New Zealand. She also mentions that the user was from a particular college. She goes on to say that there is no way in hell this could be some random person visiting her website and that it has to be her ex-boyfriend. She explains that her boyfriend just got up and disappeared to New Zealand one day and was never heard from again. She tried to contact him at the university but was unsucessful.

Her rant then began.

"I know it's you" she says. "Grow some balls and send me an email."

I couldn't stop laughing. She went through all that trouble to throw down the gauntlet.

In a personal story, a figure from our past, Mr. C. Bang contacted me through ICQ. He explained that he was living near me. My first reply was "bullshit". Then I replied, "Why the fuck would you be all the way over here?" To confirm his story, I tracked his ip. Sure enough, he was 30 miles away. FUCK. Now i have to go buy a gun. Damn stalkers.

No comments: