Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Lies

I went to a certain electronics store we all know and love. I'll call it Pry's.

I went in to purchase a monitor on sale. I asked them if they had any in stock. The guy, looking straight at me, said, "we have none in stock. We sold out."

Normally, I would have believed him. After all, Pry's has many sales and most of the good items sell out quick. But for some reason, I did not believe him. He then proceeded to show me a more expensive monitor and was attempting to sell me the alternative instead.

So, I asked him to type up the item number in the computer. I asked him to check whether other Pry's in the area had more in stock.

He turned on his computer and then started typing up the item number. I am not sure if it was deliberate, but he typed in the wrong number. Fortunately, I had the correct number written down on a piece of paper just in case Pry's employees suddenly happened to get amnesia.

When he typed in the correct number, the computer showed that the store had 134 of those monitors in stock and a total of 1000 in various stores in the area. The man said nothing, went toward the forbidden holding area and brought out my monitor.

I thanked the man and walked away.

As I was walking away, he yelled, "Do you want some extra warranty?"

Incredible.

No comments: