Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Coffee is Whack



In high school, I never experimented with recreational drugs. I really didn't do much of anything other than study. I still had tons-o-fun but they were good-clean-fun of the bible sort. I didn't smoke, I didn't drink, and I didn't even drink coffee.

This trend continued in college, although alcohol was imbibed in social settings. I still did not do any recreational drugs and I did not smoke. AND I still didn't drink coffee.

Now that I work at Sax Fifth Ave, I drink coffee all the time. In fact, I drink about 12-14 cups of coffee a day. That's right...12-14 in a 24 hour period.

My collection of thermos cups and my Bean Vac

I drink because it's the only way I can stay awake. You see, I work very long hours. I work about 80 hours a week. I would be lucky if i had two days off on the weekend. So the only way I can survive is to utilize stimulants. Since I do not want to use illegal stimulants, caffeine is the only option for me.

I am also poor. So I really can't afford to purchase all of those cups of coffee at Starbucks or other fancy coffee shops. I started to make coffee at home and I would carry it with me and drink it all day long.

However, I soon realized that regular Folgers just was not cutting it for me. I wanted to grind my own beans. I wanted to make my coffee drinking experience at home as close to the boutique coffee experience as possible.

So invested in a cheap grinder and I bought a 2 lb bag of decent quality coffee to brew at home.

But then I realized that these large bags usually last me about 3-4 weeks and the fresh roasted smell and fresh taste disappear towards the end of the month. Even if I froze the bag, the amazing freshness of a newly opened bag was usually gone. I wanted to maintain that amazing aroma as long as I could so I looked around the internet for some options.

I came across an article talking about the advantages of vacuum containers for coffee. I read some reviews and found that most of the affordable devices were mediocre at best. Some were hand pumps and some were automatic. The one that caught my eye (and was relatively affordable) was the Bean Vac:



The reviews for this device were not that great. A lot of people were having problems. I guess quality control was an issue. However, because I live on the edge, I figured "what the hell" and went for it.

I am very happy with the purchase...for now. I set the vacuum timer on a 24 hour cycle and it removes air from the container everyday. I have used this device for over a month now and I must admit it has made a big difference in taste and experience. I hope it doesn't break.

I wonder however if I can continue this lifestyle. It's crazy. It's only a matter of time before I get an ulcer since I often have to counter my hunger headaches with nsaids. What has become of my life? Why must I suffer so? Help.

I need to stay awake but if i continue this coffee binge, i'll be coughing up blood in no time from the ulcers. This is one dilly of a pickle...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your addiction. First it's coffee. Next you'll be snorting cocaine in the bathrooms of In N' Out like Jessie Spano and Barack Obama.

One more thing. For a person with no money, you spend like Paris Hilton.