Friday, March 31, 2006

California dreamin'...


The one thing I miss about home is the access to a great selection of California wines. California wines are rated some of the best in the world. And because there is such a HUGE selection of excellent wines, the prices are kept at a reasonable price. Hell, you could even go to a local grocery store and find a Cabernet rated 90 or better for 15 bucks.

But like most things in life, you don't realize that you have taken many things for granted until they are gone...

Well, it turns out that they keep the prices low if you live in California. Anywhere else in the country, they jack up the price . After a long ass week, I decided to treat myself to some flavas from home. I went to a local wine store (they have weird laws here about alcohol so the only place I could buy wine that doesn't come out of a box is at this place) to purchase some good ol' fashioned California grape juice only to be shocked by the markups.

I looked around and saw some names I recognized and some vineyards I have never heard of before. I walked from aisle to aisle trying to decide how best to exchange my limited cash reserve for some great vintner's reserve.

Cabernet? Merlot? Blanc? Pinot? So many choices...all at an unreasonable price. I knew that if i were at home, i could get these same bottles for 5-10 bucks less than the price they were charging here. Nevertheless, I was determined not to leave the store without a purchase.

I decided that because it was a long week, I wanted to cleanse my body with some red wine. The weather was getting warmer and I wanted to purchase a red before it got too warm to keep a bottle of wine at room temperature. Since i have no wine fridge or any means of controlling the temperature in my apartment, it's often hard to buy red wine and keep it longer than a day. And cold red wine is just gross.

Anyway, i purchased the wine that you see above. It is a 2004 Kendell Jackson Pinot Noir Vintner's Reserve. It cost me 20 bucks, which is more than the usual price but I wanted to try it anyway.

I am not wine snob (I have don't have the cash to be one). But I have learned to respect and enjoy great wine. My friends knew about my first wine purchase. I spent 4 bucks on some wine on my 21st birthday. It was nasty. But over the years, I have learned to appreciate the smell and the subtle flavors that come with each bottle. I also find myself remembering the names of great bottles I have tasted.

This wine was pretty good. Velvety, smooth with an amazing aroma of cherries.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Kendell Jackson? KJ is like the McDonald's of California wines. EVERYONE drinks their wine. (That's what you were thinking right jeff?) I know it's not a unique purchase but it has always been a safe one. Many of their wines are rated pretty consistently in 80s and it's one of those 'go-to' vineyards when you can't find some of those esoteric selections. Kendell Jackson, Robert Mondavi, Sterling, etc. are all pretty much safe bets in my opinion. Besides, I remember all of those vineyards had some excellent 1997 selections that I could still taste in my mind.

So I had two glasses of this pinot with a to-go box of Ribeye steak for an Applebees. It was a nice meal. Usually, I drink a Cabernet Sauvignon with my steaks but this was a good combo too.

The sad thing about drinking wine and eating a fatty steak is the diarrhea that comes afterwards. Apparently, like many people of my race (puerto riquenos), I am missing some key enzymes in my body to "process" the juices from a winery. Although I have been cursed with low levels of dehydrogenases, I still find it worthwhile to experience a good meal.

In fact, I am writing this blog on the toilet while experiencing one of those Shasta-style explosive fecal ejections. Well, I think i have to cut this entry short because I feel another explosion coming on.

Until next time... Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Athalia said...


Yeah California does produce some of the best wines in the world and any wine lover should make it a point to try as many of them as they can. Love your post <3